Rabbit Dogs banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,439 Posts
I have a cold nosed gyp that would get picked up in trialing but I tolerate her because she produces rabbits. She may be the only one that smells it for first couple of minutes or so and pops off but my other dogs know she has the rabbit and fires them up to search even harder. On a real tough scenting day she is gold! She will be in my kennel until she dies. My only regret is she never has took on breeding.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I need first one to say I hate a dog that gommes around back & forth over same spot barking it’s head off. But there’s a world of difference in that & a big nosed dog with the brains to use it to take a track others can’t smell & jump the rabbit. Most have never saw one like that . They aren’t plentiful. They move steady and when they get where rabbits sitting boom is on. I had a hunting friend who we d debate on this he didn’t see it for what it was. Yet even though he had good dogs he complained his should be jumping more rabbits. Most have never saw one this type. & this attitude toward zero tolerance is why so many short on nose today. You ever stop think that maybe cause the rest aren’t opening they may be light on nose. Go on ice covered day in zero weather & watch this cold trailer put rabbit in front the gun. While them zero tolerance dogs don’t say a word. One time I running in February in snow cone snow. It cold I’d run8 rabbits & killed 3 solo hunt. Had one more to go. It’s early afternoon. Guy dumped out on me. Had a fd champ bitch out popular blood line. Hare bred guess you say. She pulled my dogs why been running rabbit they on over an hour geared down. This bitch took front continued to over shoot checks while mine just kept going turning it from behind. The dog barked about 6 times in 4 circles. We saw rabbit several times. I just let run never did shoot it. Guy paid allot money for her. Later on he bred her sold the pups then sold her. Zero tolerance never see the dog I’m talking about. They’ll cull it.
[/QUOTE I like what you said and agree people are breeding the nose out of beagle’s worried about a little cold trailing. I watch for nose first because in my opinion a big nose will eliminate a lot of faults that are caused just because they can’t smell and they are trying so hard to overcompensate for their weakness.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have a cold nosed gyp that would get picked up in trialing but I tolerate her because she produces rabbits. She may be the only one that smells it for first couple of minutes or so and pops off but my other dogs know she has the rabbit and fires them up to search even harder. On a real tough scenting day she is gold! She will be in my kennel until she dies. My only regret is she never has took on breeding.
how is it popping of if she smells it?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Nothing like a good rabbit finding hunting dog with a keen nose and a clean dependable mouth that every hound in the pack and every hunter in the group can depend on that always quickly produces the RABBIT and a Hot Steady Pounding Race. Also....If the race is not steady as a clock......you got problems on the ground.

When the hunting, searching rabbit finding jump dog sounds the alarm by giving tongue everyone on the hunt.....people and dogs included...... get to their proper positions and the safety's on the guns comes off. Man that's so much fun especially if you bring your dogs to places that have a few rabbits hunt.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts