Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love reading hunting books (obviously biased toward ones with hounds lol). Just finished “Legendary Hunters of the Southern Highlands” by Bob Plott. It was an awesome, and easy, read . A few people mentioned in the book are folks I know or have met thru various houndsmen from NC. Reading about those old timers coming here in the 1800s and homesteading what is now Great Smoky Mountains National Park fascinated me. Also some good Civil War and and WW2 history as well. I strongly recommend it to any of you reading guys and gals.

another favorite of mine is “Brave- and other hunting stories” by Steve M Mathes

·
Registered
2,028 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yancey: Bob Plott also wrote a book about the history of the Plott Hound. I have both of the books you mentioned and agree they are both good. I have collected books about hounds and related subjects for over 45 years.

Here is a good one for you: Gone Away (The Derrydale Press Foxhunters' Library): Houghland, Mason: 9781586670382: Amazon.com: Books

View attachment 61101

And this one is great also.....Meet Mr. Grizzly: Stevens, Montague: 9780944383094: Books

View attachment 61102
A bear hunting mentor of mine on the NC coast comes from a family that was the first to inhabit that area(on the coast, not the mountains) in the 1800s. His grandpa hunted with Hack Smithfield and the Plott family quite a bit

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
The Movie “Good bye my Lady”, about a stray dog that comes into a boys life and the life lessons learned. Great movie! Just saying! JMHO
I believe it is based on the book. JMHO

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like the Ben Lily legend by Frank Dobie it’s really more about the man than the hounds but I enjoyed it.
That’s kinda how the Plott book I recommended is. Definitely mentions attributes of the original plotts and some hound vs bear stories. But a lot of it is flat out awesome accounts of the lives and hunts of folks from that era

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
A really good book if you can find it is “Stories of Old Traveler” by B. S. Jones, about running bobcats in central Florida’s orange groves and swamps from 60 years ago, prior to all the development that changed that area. The fellow who goes by bobcat on here is from that area and knows a lot about the history behind this book.

Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Carnivore Organism

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A really good book if you can find it is “Stories of Old Traveler” by B. S. Jones, about running bobcats in central Florida’s orange groves and swamps from 60 years ago, prior to all the development that changed that area. The fellow who goes by bobcat on here is from that area and knows a lot about the history behind this book.

View attachment 61131
Sounds awesome!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Guys this post is the start of a new direction for me. I am now 71 and need to start divesting my collections. One is a collection of books. More bird dog books than beagles. Some of the books are autographed, some are old training books. anybody that is interested pm me. Also good collection of fishing books primarily fly fishing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts