Any idea?

Discussion in 'The Tailgate' started by Eddie Walker, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Eddie Walker

Eddie Walker New Member

Have you guys ever ran dogs on a place that had plenty of rabbits then go back a few days later and you walk yourself to death to never find a rabbit. I've had this happen several times in the past year. After a month or so things start improving. It is almost like they move out. I've also went after dark and get the same results. Anyone know what the logic behind this could be?

2. marshall dillon

marshall dillon Well-Known Member

Virginia
    My place is like that . I was seeing rabbits everywhere around the yard and now I am only seeing a few 1/2 grown rabbits . Maybe my area is a birthing place and then the grown rabbits move out after weaning the liter .

3. Spini Boys

Spini Boys Moderator

I believe the rabbits are still there but scenting conditions and other factors change.
    The places we run did the same thing. Yesterday the hounds acted like they just plain couldn't smell them. We saw the rabbit they were trying to run. Full grown rabbit, but they struggled bad. Monday they ran The crap out of rabbits in the exact same spot.

4. benham

benham Active Member

kentucky
    I’ve had it happen place you are use to running has a lot of rabbits , then out of the blue it’s like where did they all go , dogs are hunting , can’t find one , then you start kicking around trying to jump one with no luck , then the next time you go an run rabbits all day , I’ve wondered if coyotes got in there at night and got after them so they all went to another place or in holes , don’t know , but I know what your saying.

5. marshall dillon

Virginia
    I wish that I could figure out why they burn them up one day and then other days you can kick one up and they can’t smell it when you put them right on it .

6. mattdog

mattdog Well-Known Member

WV
    And isn’t it great when that happens when you have someone along that hasn’t seen your dogs run before ?!?
    On public land I would sometimes think someone ran there the day or night before , but I have seen my dogs get rabbits up in a place that was obviously hunted by someone else earlier in the day.

7. 5 Solas

5 Solas Well-Known Member

Mattdog that is almost a guarantee to happen with a new guest lol

8. Bhill552

Bhill552 Active Member

The same thing happened to me numerous times last year. I wondered if they go in holes and just hide sometimes.

9. J Hall

J Hall Active Member

That's a 100 trillion dollar question. There's been a few houndsmen that have kept extensive records on every statistic they could think of trying to figure a good smelling day from a bad smelling day. All of them that were honest with themselves came to the conclusion that there are to many variables to get a handle on this. I believe this to be true.

10. marshall dillon

Virginia
    My nephew kept a weather record and how the dogs ran one season . The next year we would compare how the dogs ran to the previous year . We found it useless on predicting how they were going to run on a similar weather day . One of our best running days was when the wind was blowing about 20mph . I didn’t even think we should have went that day .

11. Grizzly creek beagles

Grizzly creek beagles Well-Known Member

My buddy called me yesterday morning complaining of this same thing. Places we tore them up at earlier this spring now they just can’t find even one to run

12. TRK

TRK Well-Known Member

I know in the winter when there is snow on the ground I have been in places where there are a lot of tracks that go to holes. I don't know if they do it because of the weather or if they do the same in the summer sometimes.

13. rick Watkins

rick Watkins Well-Known Member

Hey Eddie welcome to the site. Rabbits are doing fine

14. Burnett

Burnett Well-Known Member

Hey Eddie Walker Junior.Good to see you on here.Ive known this man since he was a little boy.He and his Dad and family are good folks.

15. Burnett

Burnett Well-Known Member

A couple owls,hawks and other predators can hit a place hard and quick.Esspecially the young dumb rabbits.

16. thefoxes85@hotmail.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

michigan
    A lot of times you always go to the places that you or the dogs jump a rabbit. I come in and walk a different direction or change the pattern of your hunting and let the dogs work. Sometimes the rabbits are sitting so tight you and dogs walk right by them.
    Me and 2 friends went out with 4 dogs, one FC. and the other 3 that we hunt and sometimes trial. We walked a 30 acre area, I ended up jumping 4 rabbits that the dogs ran. When I walk I am always looking into the brush, clumps of grass, trees bottoms and stumps for rabbits. When I look I find a lot of rabbits, call the dogs so they can jump and have a short sight run, (Sorry Mitch who does not let his dogs sight run) and then they lock on and run it till when ever. You have to think like a rabbit.

17. Greenhaw

Greenhaw Well-Known Member

Tn
    Men,I have a lot of rabbits on my place. Some nights I can ride the lanes and see 25. Next night won't see any. Most of the time of I am going to run 3 dogs. I turn one out and she will have one up before the other two get out. The other day it took an hour before they got one. Who knows?

18. Robert L. Dunn

Robert L. Dunn Well-Known Member

Hide in the tall grass and make a noise like a carrot. They will come right to you. Foxes and I got this one figured out.

19. thefoxes85@hotmail.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

michigan
    Heck Mr. Dunn Elmer Fudd could not even get the rabbit, Ahhhhh, “What’s up Doc”?

20. Addi

Addi Well-Known Member

Yes! I've been running in the same place for years.
    I've had trouble getting rabbits up for the last few weeks.
    This morning was different. I got there at 7:30. Dropped the tailgate and they jumped in about ten minutes. They ran it through the woods, then into a cornfield for a couple of circles, back through the woods, crossed the road into another cornfield for several circles.. I thought they were going to catch it so I toned them off.
    I walked back up the road a hundred yards and they jumped another. It crossed the road into another cornfield. They ran it almost out of hearing and then it circled back. Had a short check and it was on again. By 9:30 it was getting warm so I toned them off, loaded up and came home.
    Great morning and good dogs. :) Life is good.
    Its supposed to rain and cool off next week. Looks like the next months will be great for running.