Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys ex athletes that still remember that rush from competition and miss it?

Love seeing my kids competitive nature....

But Man I miss trash talking and head popping.

Oddly the work I would put in and the killer mentality I demanded of my teammates influences how i judge a Gun dog in the field.

Hard to explain if you don’t get it but it’s real lol

20181019_034458000_iOS.jpg
20200528_155509821_iOS.jpg
20181019_035058000_iOS.jpg
20200528_155454441_iOS.jpg
20200710_184022000_iOS.jpg
20200710_184004000_iOS.jpg
20190110_175224000_iOS.jpg
20200528_155459223_iOS.jpg
20181111_184242000_iOS.jpg
20141231_021506000_iOS.jpg

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I was jock in high school, end, (both) ways in football, forward and captain for basketball 4 years, pitcher and short stop for baseball. Also don't laugh in Jr. Sr. school plays, played first chair Baritone horn, drums, marching band and Drum Major, yes wore the big goofy head dress for marching band Sr. year.
Married Lori, all state in basketball and track.
Our son Ryan- end on football team, started 4 years, varsity forward, captain 3 years basketball team, first base and pitcher 4 years varsity baseball. Was 9-0 his sr. year, picked off 19 at first base while pitching. Trialed his beagle, and avid hunter.
Taylor, 4 years basketball varsity level, first chair clarinet high school band, 4 year volleyball player 2 years varsity tennis, and Drum Major for marching band. Does not hunt but shoots trap as does my wife Lori.

After the kids sports ended Lori said, "I guess now we go grocery shopping on Friday nights." I am looking forward in watching my 2 grand sons and grand daughter's involvement with sports, band, what ever they choose.
I definitely miss it. I have coached basketball from the 4th grade level up to varsity, boys and girls, My daughter also helped coach 2 years.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was jock in high school, end, (both) ways in football, forward and captain for basketball 4 years, pitcher and short stop for baseball. Also don't laugh in Jr. Sr. school plays, played first chair Baritone horn, drums, marching band and Drum Major, yes wore the big goofy head dress for marching band Sr. year.
Married Lori, all state in basketball and track.
Our son Ryan- end on football team, started 4 years, varsity forward, captain 3 years basketball team, first base and pitcher 4 years varsity baseball. Was 9-0 his sr. year, picked off 19 at first base while pitching. Trialed his beagle, and avid hunter.
Taylor, 4 years basketball varsity level, first chair clarinet high school band, 4 year volleyball player 2 years varsity tennis, and Drum Major for marching band. Does not hunt but shoots trap as does my wife Lori.

After the kids sports ended Lori said, "I guess now we go grocery shopping on Friday nights." I am looking forward in watching my 2 grand sons and grand daughter's involvement with sports, band, what ever they choose.
I definitely miss it. I have coached basketball from the 4th grade level up to varsity, boys and girls, My daughter also helped coach 2 years.
Aaaaaaah man you got the blood of competitors!!!! I love it. You understand.

Man my daughters first basket she scored in basketball I cried lol

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I use to play centerfield and I raced motocross . I was fast and the gym coaches always tried to get me on the track team and wrestling team . I had a friend that got a wrestling scholarship to East Carolina , he would come by my house after school and want to tty his wrestling on me . I would pin him in my front yard in about 2 minutes . It got back to the coach and he started trying to get me on the wrestling team , but I new that my friend loved it and we were the same weight so that was one reason I didn’t join the team and I didn’t like school so I was getting out after 2 or 3 classes and going to work .

I still don’t like losing anything , and I think that is a fault in me .

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use to play centerfield and I raced motocross . I was fast and the gym coaches always tried to get me on the track team and wrestling team . I had a friend that got a wrestling scholarship to East Carolina , he would come by my house after school and want to tty his wrestling on me . I would pin him in my front yard in about 2 minutes . It got back to the coach and he started trying to get me on the wrestling team , but I new that my friend loved it and we were the same weight so that was one reason I didn’t join the team and I didn’t like school so I was getting out after 2 or 3 classes and going to work .

I still don’t like losing anything , and I think that is a fault in me .
It’s a fault of mine too lol my mom always warns people to not get me started because I’m
Over competitive lol

·
Super Moderator
1,886 Posts
It doesn't have to be over if you played baseball. I played competitive softball for years afterwards until my kids came along, then coached them for awhile in baseball and basketball. Then I found a wood bat baseball league to play in. Been doing that for 11 years plus coaching my grandson in baseball. Coaching middle school baseball now. It ain't over till you say its over. Or your body says so. I'm 60 years young. Stay active and you'll live longer.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It doesn't have to be over if you played baseball. I played competitive softball for years afterwards until my kids came along, then coached them for awhile in baseball and basketball. Then I found a wood bat baseball league to play in. Been doing that for 11 years plus coaching my grandson in baseball. Coaching middle school baseball now. It ain't over till you say its over. Or your body says so. I'm 60 years young. Stay active and you'll live longer.
I’m still active and doing sports for sure.

That’s how you keep your youth .

Hats off to you for still going at 60!!!!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Played shooting guard in high school, ran the 800m and the 1600m. I still play in an industrial basketball league for the chemical plants in the area. I coach or assist with my childrens sports. I cried for my son's 8yr old playoff loss last year, a little 🤐😉 LOL

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Played shooting guard in high school, ran the 800m and the 1600m. I still play in and industrial basketball league for the chemical plant in the area. I coach or assist with my childrens sports. I cried for my son's 8yr old playoff loss last year, a little LOL
I once died twice running an 800

🤣🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
255 Posts
Played football and basketball in high-school. Was an inside linebacker and punter. Got a call from North Dakota State about interest of me playing until I had 3 ankle surgeries between my junior and senior year of football. Had to miss my senior year completely and the talks stopped lol. Still enjoy playing softball and basketball but my ankle hurts for 3 days after so dont do it much anymore.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I played basketball in HS. Now I officiate varsity basketball in Indiana. It is a great way to stay in shape, and a much different way to enjoy the game. You are right there in the competitive moment, but you are not actively participating in one team's competitive spirit over the other (no matter how much everybody's parents and grandparents think we are! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

It is a great way to still enjoy the game, and help the kids out. You have to have thick skin, but you learn a lot about the game you don't know from just playing it.

One caveat: I still yell at the TV and say idiotic things to the players and coaches and refs when I am watching Purdue basketball from home. As much as I have to be objective when I am doing a high school game... I reserve all my crazy for the week for my Purdue games lol

·
Registered
81 Posts
I played basketball in HS. Now I officiate varsity basketball in Indiana. It is a great way to stay in shape, and a much different way to enjoy the game. You are right there in the competitive moment, but you are not actively participating in one team's competitive spirit over the other (no matter how much everybody's parents and grandparents think we are! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

It is a great way to still enjoy the game, and help the kids out. You have to have thick skin, but you learn a lot about the game you don't know from just playing it.

One caveat: I still yell at the TV and say idiotic things to the players and coaches and refs when I am watching Purdue basketball from home. As much as I have to be objective when I am doing a high school game... I reserve all my crazy for the week for my Purdue games lol
Well you should be getting a lot of that yelling out this year with the way Purdue has been playing. Lol I played baseball in college just a small school here in Indiana. Played all three sports in high school. After College I played in national softball tournaments all over the country. Some of the most fun I ever had untilI blew my knee out at 30 years old. I’m only 38 now now I’m fat my hair is gray and all I do is chase beagles around. Lol

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well you should be getting a lot of that yelling out this year with the way Purdue has been playing. Lol I played baseball in college just a small school here in Indiana. Played all three sports in high school. After College I played in national softball tournaments all over the country. Some of the most fun I ever had untilI blew my knee out at 30 years old. I’m only 38 now now I’m fat my hair is gray and all I do is chase beagles around. Lol
I’m tryna refuse to get fat lol

1 - 20 of 44 Posts