Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have luke over at my grandmas right now so it’s a lot easier to take him on quick evening runs. Me and my buddy got off work and he’s never seen beagles run befor so i said well if ur up for it we can let them go I’m sure they will get on something we will just get alittle wet and he was game. So let brandy and Luke out and they hit the woods hunting for A rabbit they went up into A field of tall grass and booked it for the woods we decided to just go up my neighbors driveway that circles around the wood lot and call them over that way by the time we got over there they were already on one and passed where we were headed we saw A rabbit sitting in A field and i was like oh there he is well here came another rabbit hopping across the field as well and i told him we were in for A confusing run because they were literally right next to each other the dogs got closer and the rabbits both bolt off in similar directions. Well the dogs circled back the other way and never even came our way and A third rabbit came across hauling tail back across the driveway with both dogs in tow and back into the wood plot they originally jumped it in. They kept on it and i thought i knew where it was going so we went and jumped ahead of it and sure enough here it comes down A fence line down the grass field and back into the fence line and disappeared, A few minutes later the dogs come out on the trail and down the fence line and into where the rabbit went in. When the dogs went into that fence line i kid you not 4 rabbits came busting out and into the grass non of which the dogs were on the one they were on went down the backside of the fence line and back towards the woods it came from and back onto my neighbors land. They stayed on A rabbit for the rest of the evening. I’m really not sure if they were staying on the same rabbit the whole time or switching i want to think they were on the same one because i saw the rabbit they were on line with twice and it was A big one both times and A few of the ones i saw scattering were smaller ones, also it seemed like it kept taking similar “circles” around, but it’s pretty hard to tell once they get in the thick green cover. My buddy looked at me when those rabbits came busting out of the fence line and said “this isn’t how it goes when you’re hunting is it” and all i could do was laugh because I’d never experienced anything like that either. I didn’t get any video again tonight i need to figure out how to clear A bunch of space off my phone or get A go pro or something similar. I’m sure it would be more interesting and maybe be able to decipher what was going on A bit better If it were on video

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sounds like you found a excellent place to run . Pretty soon if you keep talking your buddy , he will have a dog or two .
Yea it’s A really good spot and it’s right out behind my house, we can’t hunt it but no one cares if i just run the dogs and to me that’s just as fun, especially keeping them toned in. I think the babies are getting big enough to run around or something though because I’ve never seen that many back there

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Running them is more fun to me now than shooting them . I use to hunt my property before I built a house on it . Now that I am here 365 days a year I don’t shoot them much now . I wouldn’t have nothing to do around here .
If i was able i would take ou A few in season just for the meat and to put A prize at the end for the dogs that’s the only thing i don’t like about summer running is it’s basically hours of running with nothing at the end but i think my two are old enough to understand

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It sounds like you found a excellent place to run . Pretty soon if you keep talking your buddy , he will have a dog or two .
I wanted to come back to this post because we went out tonight getting some mulberries to make A jam with and took my female with me and there was 2 deer under the tree and they took off running and she just looked at them and didn’t take off after them, when she was young she tried to sight chase them A couple times and i yelled and and scolded her and made her know that was bad, now she has no interest at all. I guess he’s always heard story’s of trash running beagles and couldn’t believe it that she was just sitting with us. Then i told her to go find A rabbit while we were picking and she took off for the woods. She never did find one but it was still pretty hot but on the way back to the house he looked at me and said man your making me want A beagle and i never in my life thought I’d want one. A little long but i thought it was kinda funny you just said this the other day. I think it also helps my dogs listen really well and don’t run trash like he had the misconception about

1 - 8 of 8 Posts