Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out of my area, bought a 18 month old dog. I took out in my running pen, with another one of my dog's for about four hours. Neither one of them were ready to quit, but I kenneled them anyway.
When I went to check on them this morning he was in his dog house and he couldn't open his eyes. I figure it is allergies! Does anyone else had this problem and how to treat it?

Thanks for any input
Bartman357

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Back years ago when I let my beagles run outside before over population of deer and coyote the beagles would run all night and come back in the next morning with their eyes matted together. After a day or two everything was alright and they were back at it again.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Get you a bottle of mineral Oil. Good for ears and eyes, wet a cotton swab and rub the ears and eyes lids, will keep them from sore and scabbing shut.

Take a rag and soak it with warm water and hold it over the eyes, this will soften the matter and alow the eyes to open, then you can wipe off the matter gently till clean and apply the mineral oil to keep from being sore and resealing shut.

After you run in these dry dead foliage conditions, it best to flush your hounds eyes out after each run good and make sure there's no foreign objects under the lids or in the corners. This will save alot from matting and possible infections.

Sal, you remember when hounds would wash each other's faces, licking the eyes and blood from the ears, Hounds did each other favors like folks used too because they knew they needed each other.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Get you a bottle of mineral Oil. Good for ears and eyes, wet a cotton swab and rub the ears and eyes lids, will keep them from sore and scabbing shut.

Take a rag and soak it with warm water and hold it over the eyes, this will soften the matter and alow the eyes to open, then you can wipe off the matter gently till clean and apply the mineral oil to keep from being sore and resealing shut.

After you run in these dry dead foliage conditions, it best to flush your hounds eyes out after each run good and make sure there's no foreign objects under the lids or in the corners. This will save alot from matting and possible infections.

Sal, you remember when hounds would wash each other's faces, licking the eyes and blood from the ears, Hounds did each other favors like folks used too because they knew they needed each other.
Back in the day several of the old rabbit hunters that's passed on now would get together of the night, build a fire and kick back and listen to the hound music all night and pick out which dog was leading. The lead dog was king back in those day's.

·
Registered
286 Posts
We use Benadryl, childrens liquid as stated above. We use 3cc...no more than 3 days in a row. If you use too much, you will dry out the mucus membranes and that's not something you want in a scent hound. Do not get the diet stuff...the sugar substitute can cause diarrhea. At WalMart they have the equate brand of liquid benadryl. Dogs hate the flavor, but, it does the job. If you give the pill, give 25mg ONE TIME for up to 3 days.

If you can flush the dogs eyes out to help remove the allergen. You may have to wait til the benadryl takes down some of the swelling. The liquid benadryl is great to have on hand for allergies and for snakebites. Easier to get the liquid down a dog suffering from a snakebite than a pill.

Mike Franklin
OKIE DOG SUPPLY
www.okiedogsupply.com

·
Registered
81 Posts
We use Benadryl, childrens liquid as stated above. We use 3cc...no more than 3 days in a row. If you use too much, you will dry out the mucus membranes and that's not something you want in a scent hound. Do not get the diet stuff...the sugar substitute can cause diarrhea. At WalMart they have the equate brand of liquid benadryl. Dogs hate the flavor, but, it does the job. If you give the pill, give 25mg ONE TIME for up to 3 days.

If you can flush the dogs eyes out to help remove the allergen. You may have to wait til the benadryl takes down some of the swelling. The liquid benadryl is great to have on hand for allergies and for snakebites. Easier to get the liquid down a dog suffering from a snakebite than a pill.

Mike Franklin
OKIE DOG SUPPLY
www.okiedogsupply.com
I know this is an old thread but I figured I’d reply instead of starting a new thread for something that’s already been discussed. Is the children a liquid Benadryl still your protocol? My dachshund beagle mix has had bad allergy flare ups especially since he’s been getting hunted a lot this time of year. We are cleaning/flushing his eyes out and was giving him small doses of regular Benadryl occasionally but I’ll gladly switch to the childrens . Especially since I don’t like how it makes him drowsy . Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Yes, it is an old post, when I pheasant hunted my bird dogs, they would get their eyes filled with seeds, dust from working the fields. I have never used Benadryl; I do believe it would work. I always went to the pharmacy and bought some Boric Eye wash and would wash the dogs' eyes out after every hunt, worked well and helped ease the pain for the eyes. When you flushed the eyes, you would not believe how much and what washes out. Your dogs will love you for it. JMHO

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes, it is an old post, when I pheasant hunted my bird dogs, they would get their eyes filled with seeds, dust from working the fields. I have never used Benadryl; I do believe it would work. I always went to the pharmacy and bought some Boric Eye wash and would wash the dogs' eyes out after every hunt, worked well and helped ease the pain for the eyes. When you flushed the eyes, you would not believe how much and what washes out. Your dogs will love you for it. JMHO
Ten four. We’ve been flushing and we found these medicated wipes for dogs eyes. I’ll have to read what’s in them because it cleans and opens them up immediately and doesn’t irritate him at all . Picking up the children Benadryl today. As I said the regular kind works but I end up only being able to give it to him at night due to drowsiness and you can tell it disorients him

·
Registered
22 Posts
I went out of my area, bought a 18 month old dog. I took out in my running pen, with another one of my dog's for about four hours. Neither one of them were ready to quit, but I kenneled them anyway.
When I went to check on them this morning he was in his dog house and he couldn't open his eyes. I figure it is allergies! Does anyone else had this problem and how to treat it?

Thanks for any input
Bartman357
Wipe with wet wipes they ll flush themselves out after a day or so

·
Registered
798 Posts
Wife had to carry her maltipoo to the Vet and he told her to give all our dogs Benadryl and Fish Oil to prevent allergies and eye discharge.
Just saying……in case anyone wants to try it.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
If they need special treatment and special medications to go run rabbits because they are allergic to running rabbits where rabbits live...brother... I don't know what to tell you on here to do with that!

You got me?.......Pets..... IF you call me I can tell you exactly what I would do with that to but on here..... maybe if you like a sickly pet???

1 - 20 of 21 Posts