Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we clean our water bowls with bleach once a week and rinse them out daily but the algae comes back fast. I heard of peolple that put a little bleach in the water bowl with the dogs water and was wondering what everybody else does that has this problem or if there is a better solution.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Stave,
We have gone from bleaching 1 time per week to 2 times per week.
We change water in the mornings and overflow the buckets in the evenings.
This has helped with our problem. I don't think we are getting better results we are doing twice as much work to fight the problem.

·
Super Moderator
1,989 Posts
This is a constant battle here in the warm months. Other than cleaning every week sometimes if I have extra water pans I'll switch them out every week. When one starts to get algae around the edges I just switch to a fresh bowl and set the other one aside and switch it out the next week. I heard that AKC frowns on dirty water bowls if they ever inspect your kennels.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I 2nd the lixits water nipples and for how well they work not to bad on the price i have less than 60 dollars pipe and all for my whole system and thats for 5 pens

·
Registered
134 Posts
I usually just take a scrub brush to mine every day or two. Will the bleach not hurt the dog? Do you just put it in there, let it soak then spray it out. Do you have to wait a while before the dog can drink the water after you wash it out? Never had experience with this, so just want to make sure I get it right.
Thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
My brother used to raise chickens commerically. When they did not look like the thought they ought to, he put bleach in their water and they always started looking better. It certainly did not kill them. I assume the said could be true for dogs.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Mr. Wendell, you better not use too much bleach on those blackcreek dogs. It might bleach them white as cotton. :clap::clap: PS. how's ole' Brew doing?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I keep a squirt bottle full of bleach hanging at the dog pen, and about every other day ill sguirt 3 or 4 squirts in the water. I asked a high school buddy of mine who is now a vet about this, and he said it would not hurt at all. We would all be surprised how close our city water is to bleach water like this:down:.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I am lucky enough to get some 7 gal buckets from work. I cut them in half and set the lower 1/2 back into the upper 1/2. They hold 3 gal this way and are easy to change out as they green-up. I snap the handle through the chainlink to keep in place and just remove the inner 1/2 when necessary to replace and clean-up.
A empty drywall mud bucket is also good size ideal for the job.
Hounds need fresh water in the evening, that water gets awful hot setting out all day, just put yur fingers in the water an see. I flood the bucket and they like to play in the spillage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts