Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother-in-law lives in Minneapolis and I live in Indiana. I have a free weekend in mid-October where my better half will be out of town. Bro-law has been trying to get into hunting over the past few years. I have taken him rabbit and squirrel hunting the last few times he has been in Indiana over the holidays, but it has always seemed to fall on rough hunting days. I was thinking about hauling my hounds up north and meeting up with him for a two-day public land hunt in either Minnesota or northern Wisconsin. Looks like they both will be in rabbit season the weekend I am wanting to go (October 13).

I saw online there is quite a bit of public land in Southeastern Minnesota. It also seemed like Wisconsin had quite a bit. (Wisconsin's rabbit season is split between northern and southern Wisconsin. Southern Wisconsin does not come in until October 20, and northern Wisconsin starts September 15. Northern Wisconsin is defined as north of Hwy 10 to Waupaca and north of Hwy 54 to Algoma...)

Anybody have any advice on where to take three beagles and a brother-in-law rabbit hunting in Wisconsin or Minnesota on public land for the weekend? I would love to put all 4 of them on some rabbits!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Keep the wolves in mind. I’m not the guy that can give much info on this area but maybe swampman or mybeagles will chime in for you.

·
Registered
984 Posts
There is plenty of public land in WI.
You definitely have to be aware in northern WI. of the wolves.
If your looking to shoot, you’ll need to stay in the northern zone.
If your looking to just run hounds, you can run state wide.

My son is getting married that weekend so I’m not able to show you anything in person.

Bong Recreation area in SE WI would be a good place to start, just north of the state line and maybe 10 miles west of I-94 interstate on 142.
This area does require buying a state park pass at the ranger station.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Swampman! That looks like a nice piece of land and a good meeting spot for both of us. I appreciate it!

Also, I had no idea wolves were such an issue up there. That's crazy. Congrats on the son's wedding!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Ranger station is on 142.
Once you pay, go to the north lot on BB to park and start there.

Forgot to warn you, the DNR release pheasants and the pheasant shooters are out in force during the season to say the least at Bong!
I typically don't drive down there until after pheasant season closes.

Take a look at the link I posted and it may be worth your time to go to one of the other public land spots.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
If Minnesota is your choice the Whitewater WMA is huge (over 10000 acres) and has a lot of rabbits. We don't have any wolves in the southern part of the state (at least that is what they want us to believe, but it would not be a problem that time of year) and that is also our pheasant opener.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts