A little Florida history ..

Discussion in 'The Tailgate' started by Mossy Creek Beagles, Jun 27, 2020.

1. TJRANGER

TJRANGER Super Moderator Staff Member

Arkansas
    Excellent thanks for sharing Mossy. Love that history stuff and wish they would teach that to our younger generations. Then they would know The what, how, why of OUR countries founding.

2. Agreed Tj ...cant change it either !
    I learned something today myself ...Ive always known Florida is a major cattle state but didnt know we where the first ever to run cattle in the history of the USA ...I love old history ,,like finding and reading about it

3. LtELmer

LtELmer Well-Known Member

Wish they would have done something like that for the family farmer but it is about too late.

4. TJRANGER

TJRANGER Super Moderator Staff Member

Arkansas
    That’s right LT. This country was built on the backs of farmers and ranchers and our younger generations don’t even know about it. Shameful

5. Circle4p

Circle4p Well-Known Member

Alabama
    What’s bad is they don’t care... it seems after a lot of families may bed to the cities they didn’t keep teaching them how to get by on the land. I know that I got some cousins that there folks moved out of the country and my cousins and there kids don’t have a clue how to make out without meat markets and Walmart.... it’s sad really

6. Circle4p

Circle4p Well-Known Member

Alabama
    I’ve done a lot of studying on the crackers and there cows and horses. It’s alway interesting. There’s some of those folks comes over here and buys stud colts from a guy in Red Bay.

7. John Taylor

John Taylor Well-Known Member

I know this is a Beagle site, or Hound site, but cattle hounds were also part of my life while growing up. This video although to promote horses and cattle in Florida, also reminded me of my growing up here in Louisiana. As a kid growing up several areas were still open range in our area. My Grandfather, who was also a Dad to me, as he and my Grandmother raised me, and my Uncle Nelson would load up the horses and dogs and go check on the cattle that were in the open range area. All the cattle in open range needed to be branded with your individual brand. They would check on the cows that were ours that were bred. The ones that were easily caught were brought home to deliver their calves, but it doesn't take a cow long to go completely wild in open range. The ones that delivered their calves in the wild had to be surveyed from a distance so they knew which calves belonged to which cow so you could identify and brand or ear mark. Now with so called progress this is a thing of the pass. I can tell my children and grandkids about such a beautiful life on the farm it was, but it seems the video technology seems to be more reality to them. I don't regret living it. I grew up in the last part of real country life. I remember the days before TV. The days when you visited and knew all your neighbors. The nights when you heard the news on radio and even heard vocal shows on the radio.

Those were the days my friends!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020 at 12:05 AM
  8. Robert L. Dunn

Robert L. Dunn Well-Known Member

Who remembers listening to Edward R. Murrow on the radio. He always gave an update on how things were going near the end of WWII. He would play some of the stories that Tokyo Rose put out in an attempt to destroy our troops' moral. My family would gather around that old battery powered radio and listen to the war report. By then my brother James was already missing in action and Mom and Dad were always hopeful of hearing some news that might make them feel better about the situation. My Mom and Dad saw their four boys serve through every war from WWII through Vietnam. I was too young then to understand what my poor parents went through - the not knowing and the poor communications for those times. I never got to know my brother, James. Never got to meet him or shake his hand, hug his neck. All I have are pictures, letters and awards given to him. My home has an office space and I have pictures of the six of us who served - from WWI through Operation Desert Storm/Desert Shield. It is my monument and I visit it everyday. My heart swells with both emotion and pride and I pray for the days when we will be UNITED again as a country.