Rabbit Dogs banner

7 month old beagle

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  CFerran_97 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I have a 7 month old beagle. I am attempting to get her trained to be a rabbit dog. I will admit I have never done this before so any help would be greatly appreciated. I am in the Lexington Ky area. If anyone knows of any pens around the area please let me know.

#2 ·
I don’t have as much experience as a lot of the guys on here but i can give you my best advice. The best thing to do is to get her to use her nose get her used to being separated from you and just keep taking here into the woods. In my opinion you don’t have to get them into A pen and to start them just find some land around you to run weather it be public land or A park you’d feel comfortable running in or private if you have it, get her running around the woods and her instincts will kick in especially if she kicks up her own rabbit. Another thing is try not to set ur standards higher than what your dog can achieve some pick it up faster and some slower. The best thing for her will just be time in the woods the more time you put into her the better or she will be

#5 · (Edited)
Welcome to rabbit dogs John . You are in a good state for beagles . More than a few good beaglers there .

The family of rabbit dogs .net are having a big fellowship get together this very weekend in KY. You should try to attend , free food , raffles for the junior beaglers and a lot of fellowship . You could bring your dog or just come and watch others dogs run . I am sure you will meet a lot of new friends and get some great advice and learn a few things . You will probably hear some tall tales also , Lol .

#12 ·
Get her to handle for you, get her into the woods, go where there are some rabbits. Be patient with her.
Go through and read as many of these sites that you can, it will take some time to go through the sites but there is a wealth of information that you can read and apply to your training process.
Good luck, ask questions on here if needed, you will get the answers. JMO

#13 ·
You don't need a pen full of rabbits to start a beagle pup. Just teach her to come when called, find a pasture next to a briar patch, and take it for a walk. In the mornings early, while the dew is on, or late in the evenings is the best time. The rabbit scent will be left on the wet grass early in the morning where the rabbit has been feeding.
The rabbits come out to feed about sun down and you can walk along and spot them. When you see a rabbit watch its escape path, then call and walk your pup over to where it is on top or close to the path the rabbit took. Then stop. The pup will detect the scent and become inquisitive. When it starts tracking, walk along with it so if it loses the line it will be comfortable and continue to search for the line . After a couple of rabbits the pup will begin to squeal and open.
The work is over and the fun begins.
Good luck.

This is the best time of the year to start a pup. Does are breeding, there are young rabbits hopping around, and Bucks are traveling trying to make some more.

#14 ·
There is tons and tons of good info on this site. Takes a little time to read through, but worth every minute. I think that getting young dogs to handle good is one of the most important things to me in the beginning. I see a lot of dogs around me that guys have that won’t listen and can’t run a rabbit if it had to, but in my opinion that’s not the dogs fault, lack of effort put into them. Keep her in the woods and on rabbits and she will be running them in no time at all. Time and patience is key in my opinion. I also think every pup will learn at a different rate so don’t get discouraged.Good luck ,lots of good people on here that will answer any question you have!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.