Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
We have a blue 55 gallon barrels attached to our kennels and during the winter we took insulation and wrapped around each barrel. (We have two runs on our above ground kennels.) And then wrap that insulation around with tarp to keep dry with tin roofing covering it as well. and you put your hand in there to pet the dogs or add cedar chips and the temperature difference is unbelievable. Here in Kentucky it’s been in the 30s lately and the dogs drums are as warm as a heated dog house. And in the summer the barrels are very good and breathable.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Years ago, I used the (food grade) plastic barrels. On the upper end, I cut three sides of a 9 inch square, then used a torch to heat the fourth side until it would bend up to form an awning for the doorway. After it cooled, it would stay in place. Worked well, except the barrels were hard to clean out and I eventually stopped using them.

·
Super Moderator
3,689 Posts
I use 30gal white plastic barrels for all my dog houses. I just cut a small round hole in one end for them to get in and out. Attach it to a couple 2x4s to keep it from rolling. Winter I fill with grass hay, summer I put nothing in it. Spring they get scrubbed out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.