4.5 y/o male decided to retrieve!

Discussion in 'Rabbit Hunting and Beagling' started by 5 Solas, Mar 2, 2020.

1. 5 Solas

5 Solas Well-Known Member

Was out running for the last hunt of the Indiana season on Friday. Had this rabbit up and I was waiting by the briar patch he originally came out of. Rabbit swung out and left and my buddy Tim cheated way up the line on him. Tim was about 100 yards from me and fired on the rabbit at about 30 yards. He took his time walking down to where he shot it but got up there and couldn't find the rabbit. He yelled that he must have missed, so I waited by the briar patch. All the sudden I saw one of my males coming back the line along a fence row with the rabbit hanging from his mouth! He brought it all the way to my feet and dropped it right there!

I never trained him for this, he never saw another dog do this, and he's never done it before! I've killed probably 100 rabbits over him the last 4 years and he just all of the sudden (last day of the season) decided he knew how to do this! Not only that but we shot another rabbit about an hour later and he did the same exact thing, this time from only about 20 yards!

I've seen that sort of thing online and on YouTube, but I thought it was pretty crazy he just did it out of instinct at almost 5 years old! Was planning on selling this dog, but I told my buddy Gary that he must have got wind that he was going to get moved and stepped his game up lol. Shame he decided to do this on the last day of the year but it was pretty cool. Anyways, it was an awesome way to end the year!!!

Anybody else seen a dog that old just decide he knew how to retrieve?

Csb, JDW, bentleyboys and 13 others like this.
  2. Ken's Kennels

Ken's Kennels Well-Known Member

We have never had one do it until this year. An 8 month old pup picked one up and brought it out of the briars.

3. Addi

Addi Well-Known Member

I don't gun hunt, but about three weeks ago they had been running about an hour. I decided I would walk up and down the farm road for exorcise. I walked about half a mile and as I approached the truck they quit about a hundred ft from the truck. I saw the dogs coming toward me in the road and it appeared one little bitch was carrying something. As she got closer I could see she had the rabbit.

4. smokedawg

smokedawg Well-Known Member

Same thing happened to me a few years back , i’ve never owned a rabbit dog that would retrieve, i’ve hunted with guys and seen theirs do it. My dogs have always tracked up to the dead rabbit, sniffed him good to make sure he was dead and went back in the briars looking for one that would get up and run from them. Few years back i was hunting a friend deer and duck lease in february, big swamper runs down the overgrown levee of a duck pond, i shoot at him on the levee and put a bb or 2 in him but didnt break him down. He swam right out to the middle of that pond and bedded up in some cattails. Dogs come through on the track n swim out to the middle and catch him in the grass and kill him. I look up and my 3 year old male Amos is lookin at me with the rabbit in his mouth. I started toning him and telling him bring it here Amos, come on. It was 40 degrees and i wasnt wanting to get wet, but i figured he’d drop it n leave it there. He swam right to me , brought it to my feet. I praised him n pet him up good and since that day if he tracks up to the dead rabbit on the ground he’ll pick it up n bring it to me if possible. He’s brought many out of a briar patch that was too thick or one i shot across a creek or a barb wire fence. I asked the guys that i hunted with that had one retrieve about starting one retrieving and was told if a dog will pick one up in his mouth without tearing it to pieces he can be taught to retrieve. He was the only one i have that will pick up a dead one, the others see it dead n no longer show interest

5. Curnel

Curnel Well-Known Member

I have 4 that will retrieve and never taught any of them to do it , I sure do like it too

6. Grizzly creek beagles

Grizzly creek beagles Well-Known Member

I sure miss having one that will retrieve it’s been abut 5yrs. since I’ve had one that would.

7. TRK

TRK Well-Known Member

I was hunting a couple of weeks ago and had a very similar situation. I took a long shot at a running rabbit with a 2-1/2" .410. The rabbit kept going. The dogs came through and went about another 75 yards and got quiet. I thought maybe he holed up but then here came the male I was hunting with carrying the rabbit. The guy with me shot another one after that and left it lay until the dogs got to it and the male picked it up and brought it us also. He had never done this before but was never given much chance because we often pick them up before the dogs get to them so they don't tear them up. I owned several dogs through the years that would retrieve but we don't shoot near as many as we used to because of lack of areas with a good population of rabbits.

Circle4p, mattdog, TJRANGER and 5 others like this.
  8. Curnel

Curnel Well-Known Member

I’m with you TRK I am guessing theres a lot of people that own dogs that will retrieve and they don’t realize it because they pick them up, anymore I never even walk to them just stand there kinda lazy like and wait lol

9. cltyus1

cltyus1 Well-Known Member

Missouri
    1 of my 2 dogs retrieves lol

Definitely great when you wound a rabbit and he runs 300 yards before he can’t anymore

10. cltyus1

cltyus1 Well-Known Member

Missouri
    Last season my grandpa shot at one and he ran for another 15 minutes before they shut off. They were out over 300 yards and Sadie came back carrying the rabbit lol he had slight leg shot damage lol

11. 5 Solas

I'm thinking this is just what happened. One of my dogs at least used to be very gummy with them so after I shoot one I usually go right over to it and let the dogs trail it the whole way before I grab it and yell dead and show it to them. He could have been wanting to do this the whole time!

Circle4p and Curnel like this.
  12. 5 Solas

I apparently may have one I could sell you, except you are in Missouri lol.

Circle4p likes this.
  13. brewer69

brewer69 Well-Known Member

Maryland
    I have one that will retrieve, we don’t shoot rabbits because there are not many to run around here and I would rather run them than shoot them, but this year I had 2 young pups out and decide to shoot one in front of them, well my little gyp retrieved it and headed into the thickest briars around and proceed to eat the whole dang thing, including the fur, she looked pregnant the whole rest of the hunt, never had one do that before

Csb, Circle4p and 5 Solas like this.
  14. Ken's Kennels

Lol that's not retrieving that's eating. I have several that will eat them.

Csb, Circle4p and brewer69 like this.
  15. brewer69

brewer69 Well-Known Member

Maryland
    That was my attempt at sarcasiam but doesn’t seem it worked well :)

TJRANGER, Circle4p and 5 Solas like this.
  16. Grizzly creek beagles

Grizzly creek beagles Well-Known Member

Well either keeping it/retrieving it at least she did pick it up. Lol:rolleyes::D

Csb and Circle4p like this.
  17. Ken's Kennels

Gotcha! Need the sarcasm font. Haha.

Csb and Circle4p like this.
  18. TRK

TRK Well-Known Member

I had a female that would eat them, that's why we started picking them up before she could get them. She caught several and she would always take them to the thickest spot she could find so I couldn't get to her and eat them.

19. 5 Solas

UPDATE: I was soloing this dog yesterday and he came on some dead carcass (looked like a squirrel).... And he brought it to me! I guess this is his new thing now lol.

20. First time it happened to me as well. Last rabbit of the year cut across the corner of a bean field took a long (35 Yard) shot for my 410 Rabbit raised up like he was hit but kept going. Dogs come on around went in the brush about 40 yards and hushed right up. I figured they caught the rabbit went to calling them to put on another rabbit I had seen and here they come back out with the lead female carrying the dead rabbit right to me. wish I had been videoing it. I've only had these dogs a very short time but I'm really enjoying them.