13 or 15 inch dogs

Discussion in 'The Tailgate' started by BRamsey, Feb 3, 2010.

1. BRamsey

BRamsey Moderator

Some people say that they are dedicated to 13 inch dogs. Some say they prefer 15 inch. What are the upsides and downsides of each. Seems to me that 13 inch could get into tighter places while 15 inch should be faster. What are you alls opinions?

2. My opinion is I don' t care if hes 8" or 18" as long as he will run a rabbit.

3. dbounds

dbounds Active Member

That's just it, it's all an opinion. I personally like a full 13" hound. I have some that are a little over and some that are a little under. I think the main thing is to keep your pack as uniform as you can. Speed has a lot to do with it. We've all seen little dogs that were faster than bigger dogs and vice versa. Most people with big hounds like them and generally say they can hold up on a long hunt better than little hounds. But I go back to the old saying, "It aint the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog". I've also seen people with packs that have big and little in them? I don't know if there is a right or wrong answer.

4. FB

FB Administrator Staff Member

That pretty much sums up my opinion. I like em little myself. They just seem like they can get into the tight spots a little better.

Ive got one or two that would push 13" but none of mine go over.

5. ninja turtle

ninja turtle New Member

13" or under all the way for me. big dogs will push them faster, but i need one to be running a little slower for me to hit it, and i do believe smaller dogs will hunt briar patches better.

6. Jeff Gammon

Jeff Gammon Active Member

My dogs are bordrer line. It don't mater much to me as long as they do it right

7. John Taylor

John Taylor Well-Known Member

13" or 15"

I would love a kennel of 13" dogs, feed bill surely would be a lot less, but I own both. Put my pack together on skill instead of size. First of all if you mix big with small they all have to be able to run as a pack close to the same speed and compliment each other. At this time I own 7 beagles and 3 are small and 4 big. I do admire the guys that can put together a uniform pack of either small or big dogs that look alike and compliment each other.

John

8. It is all prefrence / opinion. I have both... started with 15" and intend to try and stick with that, but have had oppertunities / necesities that led me to a cpl 13" hounds.

My preference in the 15" hound is more of an appearance than a functionality. The shorter legs of the 13" hound does not look proportionate to the body of the hound. The longer legs of the 15" hound tend to carry the muscle tone better.

As far as functionality and speed... my 13" hound can run with the 15"... dbounds 13" hounds (which is where my 13" came from) can as well... or in many cases my 15" hounds can keep up with his 13" :D... it remains to be seen that an advantage would be stamina / endurance... honestly David and I have run for a solid 5 hours a time or two and the small ones did not seem any less for wear than the large ones.

At the end of the day... did they run the rabbit in the fashion you wanted them to? That is all that really matters....

9. I like the 13in but I have both

10. beagleman01

beagleman01 Active Member

like my smaller dogs

11. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Active Member

I like the 13 inch beagle but if i lived some where that the snow really got deep i would go to the 15 inch beagle. I also think a beagle can be too small like 9 inch beagles because of whelping problems.

12. rosco

rosco New Member

The only fact you can rely on when comparing the 15 inch hond to the 13 inch hound is this. The 15 inch hound will be 2 inches taller. Depending on whose doing the measureing you may not even be able to count on that.

I have both and love them all.

13. Bglenut

Bglenut New Member

I like the 13" hounds better, but I will not cull another good 15" hound anymore.

My FC male ran both 13" and 15" due to his size. He measures between 12 3/4" to 13 1/2" just depends on who is measuring him and how they stand him up

The last time I did that, Jack won the AKC Nationals. I sold him as a derby and he went on to finish for his AKC Field Championship and them won the Nationals.

Jack's sister finished for her FC also. Another one that I sold as a young male Finished also.

But that is ok - Being a breeder of several FC's is a great thing.

Like I said - I like the 13" better, but wil not cull a good 15" out of my kennel just because he/she will not measure under 13"

14. bglehound

bglehound Active Member

David if you ever have the desire to cull another 15" extremely nice hound give me a call I can be there in fifteen minutes. :up:

I nearly forgot , I for one like the 15" hounds , just my personal preference

15. Bglenut

Bglenut New Member

Robert (bglehound) - You have one of my culls that I have been trying to get back to add to my pack/kennel. Gilkey's Postoak Reject. When can I come pick him up? You know I will get you another one.

16. Hobo Joe

Hobo Joe New Member

Just my experience "speed is in the breed" i have 13 and 15 inch dogs and all pack well together. I have seen 13 inch lightning and 15 inch peanut rollers it all depends on bloodline, I like my 15s better because they seem to get things going quicker, by this I mean the 13 inch dogs will work a check and blow a hole in the ground working it out while my big dogs will pick it up and move it out no loly-gagging the others better pick up and go or get left at the check

17. Jolly R

Jolly R New Member

I like 13" but I have both.

18. Ken James

Ken James Active Member

MS.
    I have both and they both run equally well . I match them according to speed and at present my fast dogs and my slow dogs are a combination of both, oddly enough one of my best thicket dogs is a 15" and my fastest dog is less than 13"

19. Spini Boys

Spini Boys Moderator

Amen, I have had both and up until yesterday had both. Now all in the 15 inch class. I have never seen them not be able to get in any tight spot. My 13s always ran all day with the 15s, no difference in hunt, speed, getting into cover, nothing. It all depends on the hounds heart and drive. I judged a 13 inch pack trial and absolutely could not keep up with them. Then we put the 15s down and never got out of a jog. Its all the hounds ability not the size. I like a 15 inch class hound, I personaly like the looks of them better. lots of 13s look like weeny dogs to me (long body, short legs), but I have a 14 inch dog that looks that way too. As long as it has hunt, nose, brains I could care less how tall it is as long as it meets the standard and fits my pack.

20. theres a good article in April's "Better Beagler" on this very subject.