Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s your thoughts on running 13 inch with 15 inch beagles.
Do you have both sizes? Do you run them together?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I have always hunted both sizes together. Some of my females are right around 13 while some males are full 15. I like bigger hounds, and if I could always get what I wanted, my males would be full 15 and females 14-14.5, since females being lighter can be a step quicker afoot. But as long as they run the same speed, I don’t mind having big and smaller together. I just don’t want a pack all strung out across the field because some cannot keep up.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I had a little Bluetick female that was smaller than the rest of my pack a few years back. she ran towards the back when they were driving hard but she was great on hard checks and bad scenting days. I sure miss her!! As long as they contribute and don't get left way behind or pull out too far in the front it's no problem. JMO

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I had a little Bluetick female that was smaller than the rest of my pack a few years back. she ran towards the back when they were driving hard but she was great on hard checks and bad scenting days. I sure miss her!! As long as they contribute and don't get left way behind or pull out too far in the front it's no problem. JMO
Damn straight, i miss her too, she pulled many a hard long check n kept us on the rabbit. The little male i kept off her sounds like her and he will come up with a hard check like that. Hes picked up some foot now or either my pack has lost a step cause he's right up in the middle of the action now.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I have always believed that with all things being equal with the exception of size, the larger hound should be able to outlast the smaller hound during hard running or really tough conditions. Hard to prove that conclusively, and every hound has a different “bottom”.

I also believe it’s easier to get good conformation in a larger hound, which may be why they separate the classes at shows.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I like the 13 better where we run, seems they get thru the really tangled thick stuff a little better, but my brother runs 15 and there is really not that much difference either way, A good hound is a good hound. One of the best prospects I have had out of Mt State Blue Bud, booming mouth and could run a rabbit but he kept growing to about 16 inches, had to send him up north to run hare

·
Super Moderator
3,456 Posts
Depends, are you just pleasure running for a couple hours a day couple days a week. If hunting hard all day for several days the shorter hounds will have to work harder. Think about people, I am 6'3" my wife is 5'4" she works twice as hard to walk with me. My stride is much bigger, same with dogs. If you dont run long and hard and several days it wont matter.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Spini if you and your wife were trying to get through a jungle and most of the limbs were around 5' 8" off the ground then your longer stride would not come into play. In fact you would have to put more effort getting through it than her.
I remember judging once with the great John New as my co-judge. John was probably about 5’9” and I am 6’3”. We got into a forest of 12-15 foot saplings and John flew through them and I was struggling to keep him in sight. But let me get into the open and I could turn it on. Wish I could run like that today.

I do think there is a lot of merit to what Spini said, though. I am not sure how much difference 2 inches makes, at least in my area of the country. I do believe the bigger hounds have more power/endurance generally. But there are some tough little ones too.

·
Super Moderator
3,456 Posts
Spini if you and your wife were trying to get through a jungle and most of the limbs were around 5' 8" off the ground then your longer stride would not come into play. In fact you would have to put more effort getting through it than her.
I don't run in a jungle, bigger dogs are going to blow up smaller ones eventually.
If it doesn't matter, why don't they trial them together?

·
Super Moderator
1,983 Posts
Depending on the cover who has the advantage. Real thick honeysuckle vines and hog fences the little dogs have an advantage. Open cover or grassy / weedy cover the big dogs have the advantage. If the pack of dogs aren't overly competitive they can run well together. Each excels when their time comes. Many years ago a local hunter wanted to test his Bragg dogs against mine. His were a full 15" and mine were 13". I took him to a local weed field that I ran often. It was surrounded by a hogwire fence. The rabbits would weave in and out of the fence. My little dogs would zip right thru while his dogs couldn't get thru. He knew he had been had. LOL. He never ever called me again.

·
Super Moderator
3,456 Posts
Depending on the cover who has the advantage. Real thick honeysuckle vines and hog fences the little dogs have an advantage. Open cover or grassy / weedy cover the big dogs have the advantage. If the pack of dogs aren't overly competitive they can run well together. Each excels when their time comes. Many years ago a local hunter wanted to test his Bragg dogs against mine. His were a full 15" and mine were 13". I took him to a local weed field that I ran often. It was surrounded by a hogwire fence. The rabbits would weave in and out of the fence. My little dogs would zip right thru while his dogs couldn't get thru. He knew he had been had. LOL. He never ever called me again.
Dang! You must have little bitty 4" dogs to get through hog wire.😁

1 - 20 of 22 Posts