Rabbit Dogs.net > Beagle Talk > Beagle Health > Bleach For Parvo

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2010, 09:00 AM   #1
salzer mtn

Default Bleach For Parvo

Anyone ever heard of giving bleach deluted with water to a pup that has parvo ?

Old 06-27-2010, 09:41 AM   #2
HunterMS

As I noted on here on another post, my brother used to raise chickens commercially. He would give chickens bleach or clorox in their water when they had problems. I will ask him later today what the reasoning was and post it. Not sure if it will help dogs for cerain, but it sure helped his chickens.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:50 AM   #3
BOSS99755

Good question I would give my dogs shots and spray kennel with bleach water or parvo clear.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
tim godfrey

yes bleach sprayed in kennels will kill parvo but as for the pup i don't no i have bet parvo sick dogs but i used penicillin and feed the pups raw eggs they will stay down but dog that has had parvo it seem to mess up there smelling ability

Old 06-27-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
Franco

yeh i have , i did one cc of bleach and 2 cc's of h20 , daily . they will no like it , but saved ones life , also pumped eggs and gatorade down him daily for 4 days then he began eating and overed it

Old 06-28-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
rosco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco View Post
yeh i have , i did one cc of bleach and 2 cc's of h20 , daily . they will no like it , but saved ones life , also pumped eggs and gatorade down him daily for 4 days then he began eating and overed it
dem guys from Flordia know a thing or 2 about gatoraid.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:16 PM   #7
Franco

lol yeh we do Rosco , dont know why just had a bunch say it was better than pedilyte for this

Old 07-08-2010, 06:47 AM   #8
S.R.Patch

Parvo is a virus, it is reliant upon the hounds immune system to fight it off. Distemper is what ruin't your hounds sense of smell.

Some fight it off on their own, others you gotta fight with them. It eats up the stomach lining so secondary infection has to be guarded against, they want to puke and squirt out everything you put in them, so the poor ones need IV or fluid shot under the belly skin to keep from dehydrating. if you can keep them alive a week or better, your over the worst.

Ain't had it in a few years here but never say never. When I see coon out in the heat of June, I gets scarred.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:20 AM   #9
stavemillbeagles
RD_MODERATOR.png

keeping them hydrated is the biggest thing. My wife is a nurse and brings home IV fluids from the hospital that have went out of date we give it to them sub-q and have saved several that way but it is a process. The fluids also work well if you have a hound that gets to hot.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:05 AM   #10
S.R.Patch

Your wife also knows the importance of a good antibiotic. I've watched them die in my hands giving them fluids, the infection must be kept under control.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:43 AM   #11
deltadog

Can a 8-week ole puppy get parvo?

Old 07-08-2010, 12:12 PM   #12
stavemillbeagles
RD_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltadog View Post
Can a 8-week ole puppy get parvo?
YES has your pup had all his/her shots?
Old 07-08-2010, 06:50 PM   #13
S.R.Patch

Parvo is distinguished by the smell, it is rotten, the smell of death, dark bloody stools.
The pup can be the picture of bouncing health one day, and a hollow eye'd depressed state of death the next. Most will be standoffish droopy, like they don't feel well and decline any food or water. You may see them heaving as tho trying to throw up. They may even try to take food or water only to go to a corner and throw it back up again, the stomach rejects anything.

Some people get excited thinking coccidia is parvo when they see a little blood in the mucus stool that is common with coccidia.

Heat and stress of weaning both weaken puppies and make them more susceptible the virals and diseases.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:30 PM   #14
peytonbeagles

I think we should delte this topic, scares me thinking about it.....shots...shots...shots...

I know a buddy in Spain had a couple Branko pups shipped in a few months back and within a few days one had Parvo, but a new improved strained of it,,, saved his dog but cost more than he paid.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:21 PM   #15
trobin

pups are most likely to get parvo from 8-12 weeks old. mothers milk has antibodies that fight sickness. around 7-8 weeks pups are still nursng but milk doesnt provide enough antibodies to prevent sickness. however the milk provides enough antibodies to block the shot. therefore your pups are vulrenable.