Rabbit Dogs.net > Beagle Talk > Rabbit Hunting and Beagling > New season dates in Illinois for rabbit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
Benw

Cool New season dates in Illinois for rabbit

Just got hunting digests, November2-Feb15 now!, whats better got 2 New pups this morning

Old 09-09-2013, 05:22 AM   #2
Redtick

As an Illinois rabbit hunter, I harvest very few rabbits because if I harvest them, I won't have any to train my beagles with. I personally think the law change was not researched much. I know in Central Illinois, there are few places that hold many rabbits.

Squirrel season is until February 15. There are lots of squirrels in Illinois.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:49 AM   #3
bartman357

Thumbs up

I agree with ya! Thats why I started raising the redbacks.I have a few people in my area that don't use much common sense when it comes to overkilling. I'm hoping that the redbacks will supplement the shortage, seems to be working so far!

Old 09-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
High Rock Beagles

You all had a short season for sure!!! That's alot better!!

Old 09-10-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
Benw

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtick View Post
As an Illinois rabbit hunter, I harvest very few rabbits because if I harvest them, I won't have any to train my beagles with. I personally think the law change was not researched much. I know in Central Illinois, there are few places that hold many rabbits.

Squirrel season is until February 15. There are lots of squirrels in Illinois.
here in southern Illinois we got tons of rabbits, for many of years they was a thing of the past, but they've made a huge comeback, I like that they extend it that way not always hunting in hot weather., I raise training rabbits, heck I don't even shoot many wild ones I like the chase!

I agree they need to raise limit on squirrles ive killed my share of them this year n last, there cutting the fire out of pecans me n bro killed out yesterday in 20 mins lol
Old 09-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #6
Benw

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartman357 View Post
I agree with ya! Thats why I started raising the redbacks.I have a few people in my area that don't use much common sense when it comes to overkilling. I'm hoping that the redbacks will supplement the shortage, seems to be working so far!
I agree a lot of people over kill, I just like it cause be able to hunt when it cool besides huntingin hot weather
Old 09-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #7
.410 Hunter

Default Illinois extended rabbit season

I think the main reason for the change is that large tracts of land here in Southern Illinois is tied up in by deer outfitters and deer leases. The only time a guy may get permission to hunt is ofter the doe season, the third week of January. The Dept of Natural Resources are very slow to change. The end of January close has been there ever since I was a kid 40 years ago. It is the shortest rabbit season in the country I think.
The squirrel limit should be 8-10, I usually have my limit by 8:00 am with an air gun. I have the woods to myself no one is hunting them.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:03 AM   #8
Redtick

I will say there are lots more rabbits south of Route 50 than north of Route 50. Again, in the area I do most of my hunting, rabbits are scarce and I believe the hunting season should have been shortened, not extended.

I hunt squirrel dogs as well as beagles and really don't squirrel hunt much until after the first frost. There are tons of "tree rats" and I don't believe they could be over harvested. But, rabbits can be over harvested easily.