Rabbit Dogs.net > Beagle Talk > Rabbit Hunting and Beagling > Dog running ??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
r.g

Default Dog running ??

How many of you guys run dogs (that is a good distance from your home ) run dogs alone . I do by myself all the time but I don't fill that it is a safe thing to do now when I go hunting everybody wants to go . How do you guys feel being in the woods all alone.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
davtracy

Used to hunt with my dad and brother, but work caused me to move away from them. I do ninety percent of my hunting alone, but would much prefer to be in the woods with them. I agree that the best thing is to have a buddy to go with, but it doesn't always work that way.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
Cooz

I started running dogs alone and still do. I am a 23 year old gal and it is very difficult to find a running buddy! Most people think im crazy for tromping around in the swamp listening to dogs bark! So i joined a beagle club and am slowly meeting more people!

Cooz

Old 10-15-2012, 10:00 PM   #4
C_Dailey

I run dogs, rabbit hunt, and deer hunt by myself roughly 95% of the time. I has no worries/concerns, I know the good Lord will keep me safe on my adventures.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:05 PM   #5
davtracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooz View Post
I started running dogs alone and still do. I am a 23 year old gal and it is very difficult to find a running buddy! Most people think im crazy for tromping around in the swamp listening to dogs bark! So i joined a beagle club and am slowly meeting more people!

Cooz
That blows my mind! You'd think that there would be plenty of young men who are beaglers that would jump at the chance to get to know a young lady who enjoys beagling.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #6
mlandrum

Because of Vietnam Flashbacks and I run Blueticks most people don't want to go with me Now that I'm getting rid of the Blueticks more people like me , but I think the Flash-Backs might still scare some folks But I've not shot anybody yet
Old 10-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #7
davtracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlandrum View Post
Because of Vietnam Flashbacks and I run Blueticks most people don't want to go with me Now that I'm getting rid of the Blueticks more people like me , but I think the Flash-Backs might still scare some folks But I've not shot anybody yet
I would think the blueticks would be a plus. It takes a strong man to run blueticks in a tri colored world. However, I don't know about a guy who might swing and trigger all in one motion, but I am proud to know that you served our country in Vietnam. Thanks for your service. (still the best country on the planet)
Old 10-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #8
John Taylor

Default running along

Cooz

I'm really surprised you don't have a young gentleman that would love a female running buddy. I sure wish my wife loved the dogs and surely wish she would tag along. I would probably be able to make more Field Trials and get out with the dogs more if she were interested.

Best of Luck, you will soon have a liftime running buddy!!

John

Old 10-15-2012, 11:04 PM   #9
hekeim

I hunt by myself, but not by choice. I'm about in the same boat as cooz. Just nobody around here interested in doing it. Sometimes it is nice to enjoy mother nature by myself, but it would also be safer to be with another. That reminds me that I should start leaving a note on the kitchen table every time I go out. If I don't show up to work, maybe someone will find me before I become mountain lion food!

Old 10-16-2012, 02:44 PM   #10
bbg

I usually run alone. Mostly because Im always training a young pup. But also some don't like to run their dogs with mine. I am never uncomfortable or feel unsafe in the woods though.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #11
TDOG

Thats the great thing about dogs your never alone

Old 10-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #12
Rodgerl

I probably hunt 95 percent of the time by my self. I like to go with other people some but I've always got some young dogs I'm training & you can take what you want to by your self. I feel safer in the woods than I do in a big city.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #13
roadknight64

Default i live in indiana

Just curious, what area in Indiana do you live?.. I hunt up around Mississinewa & a few woods around the Kokomo area.. I live in Kokomo (50miles N of Indy).. If you live at a resonable distants, I would hunt w/you sometimes, if you'd like.. Now to be upfront I am new to rabbit hunting w/my dogs..Really enjoy it.. I have a couple decent dogs, a couple older dogs (thier slow but good noses) & a pup that has came from an good bloodline that I am trying to get in the woods as much as possible..

Old 10-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #14
mike borel

I have always hunted squirrel by myself and sometimes rabbit..i used to love squirrel huntig for a couple hours and then just sit back against a tree and take in the sounds and smells until i'd fall asleep.but this year i just dont wanna b alone in the woods dont feel as safe as i used to..

Old 10-16-2012, 07:19 PM   #15
buddy68

I usually hunt alone. I enjoy the time to myself. Every once in a while one of my kids decide they're board and go with me.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #16
Addi

I run alone most of the time. However, due to my age, 70, and the crazies in the world I think about it more often.
Last season I was hunting with a guy and his dad. The dogs were running a rabbit that traveled across the line onto the edge of a dairy farm. I walked over there to the fence line. Then I heard this guy coming toward me from the farm screaming obscenities and threatening to kill the dogs. He said they had already caused one of his cows to have a heart attack and die. I called the dogs and walked back down the hill to tell my hunting buddy about the situation. He was highly pissed and threatened to go back up and confront the farmer. I talked him out of it.
I have reflected on the situation and wondered if the farmer may have had a meth lab or something else that he was hiding. I seriously doubt beagles caused a cow to have a heart attack. Most cows will run a beagle off the farm.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #17
BriarHound

I run dogs when the season is not in about 99% of the time by my self. Most of the guys I hunt with don't have dogs so I very seldom hunt alone.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #18
Thumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodgerl View Post
I feel safer in the woods than I do in a big city.
x2
Old 10-17-2012, 09:32 AM   #19
10ACbeagler

I say this w/ respect some of you older fellas need to quit all that running by yourself!!!! I dont care how many years you've done it its just not the safest thing to do.You never know what could happen man. Find you a youngster or anyone willin to give it a try see if they'll go with you.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #20
bigcfromrbc

If I go by myself I go some where close to home. It's only a few miles away. We have a few area's we like to run on old strip mines, but people party up there. Some has even tried to steal dogs before, and rob people. Depending on were I go depends on if I go alone or not.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #21
Hillbilly John

I'm retired & I run dogs 90% of the time alone.I feel it is safer out in the country than in the cities. If you worry about everything you won't have any fun!

Old 10-17-2012, 10:19 AM   #22
bigcfromrbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly John View Post
I'm retired & I run dogs 90% of the time alone.I feel it is safer out in the country than in the cities. If you worry about everything you won't have any fun!
I think people are more worried about running into Coyotes, and people doing stuff they shouldn't be doing.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:35 AM   #23
10ACbeagler

Im not talkin about worryin about people hurtin you or your dogs Im talkin about your health! Again I say out of respect(more toward the 70+ year fellas) your body aint what it use to be so be careful out there! With cell phones when the thought of danger pops up we think help is a phone call away but thats not always the case. I run alone most of the time myself,Im sure its better cause it forces me to focus on the hounds and how their doin but its just not smart in the bigger picture.Got nothin to do with bein scared,if your a grown man and scared to be somewhere or get scared cause you see someone you dont kow thats an entirely different issue in itself..Heart attacks,strokes,broken bones, all kindsa crap happens.Dont get me wrong if im alive in about 40 more years and Im that age you can bet ill still be running just hope I aint doin it alone.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:54 AM   #24
Hillbilly John

I spent 19 days in a hospital 2 years ago & I tore my achillies tendon loose from my ankle this spring & had to have surgery.Both times I couldn't even get down to my dog pen for months. If I die out running my dogs I'LL GO HAPPY.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #25
old thumper

If you are worried about yotes or people, check your states laws and check on getting a carry conscealed permit. Don't know about other states but ky. now allows you to carry a handgun while bowhunting or just about anything your doing outdoors. We are beginning to have a few black bears to show up in the area and hogs will prob. be next.
As for the health part of it, my wife works nights, so i'm alone 99% of the time anyway. So if it's my time to go, i would rather be doing somthing that i love to do.