You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Rabbitdogs.net    
Rabbit Dogs.net > Beagle Talk > The Tailgate > training a pup

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
mainemankilgore

Question training a pup

i havent been on this site very long and i have read a lot of posts. but no one really talks about the training. what do you guys an gals all feel is the best way to start training a rabbit dog? and how old do you start training?

Old 01-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
rabbit runner

Welcome to the site...if i can i trap a rabbit and let the pup sniff of it and bark at it while in the cage and then turn it out and let it chase it....when it looses sight it will start smelling for it and after a few times of doing this things start to click.....this is how i do it but there are other ways also....hope this helps.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
mainemankilgore

thanks rabbit runner. i am will ing to try anything atleast once. i got a nice beagle pup a week ago and i just wanna have a cpl ways of training her. so i can find what works best for her.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
tim godfrey

first thing first how old is the pup i just put mine in a starting pen takes a lot of work out of it lol

Old 01-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
mainemankilgore

she is 9 weeks old and by april i will have my starting pen finished.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
mainemankilgore

im very rusty to training a beagle pup. i was knee high to a grass hopper when my father used to be into field trialing his dogs. im looking to get back into it the swing of things.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
tim godfrey

you got plenty of time i don t start mine til about 9 to a year lod they will fire right off

Old 01-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #8
RebelBawlerKnls

I like to wait till mine are at least 6 months or just as long as they seem intrested and take em with just one seasoned dog if they dont wanna stick with the dog and end up at my feet everytime out then its time to get in a starting pen... nobody in there to hang around and generally a few days gets em trying to run

Old 01-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #9
Thumper

I think four to six months is a good age, and like rabbit runner said, trap one in a cage. Just keep sitting the cage on the ground and let the pup sniff it till it opens up on it. This could take a few weeks till it does. You might even have to get a older dog to open up on it till the pup does.
After ya get it to open up on it then put in a starting pen till it starts tracking it. Then ya can start taking it out in the wild.
This is what has been working for us so far.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #10
caincutter

Check out the Training Pages of my web site where you will find all I know about training pups and hounds.

http://pawpawskennels.webs.com/training.htm

Old 01-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #11
Panther Creek

I take mine to a farm where's theres rabbits in the yard or the around the outbuildings. Thay are somewhat used to people being around. I hold the pup & walk real slow to a rabbit, holding it's head where it's lookin at the rabbit. When the rabbit takes off, I set the pup down. & hope it takes off after the rabbit. Keep doing this til they open & put their nose down to track. then take them out in the wild. I do it this way cuz I have a hard time trappin rabbits.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #12
sethpcranford

I'm with blackwater. I have never been able to trap a rabbit. Luckly I live in a 50 acre clearcut. Rabbits are plentiful around, so I walk my pups around the yard in the spring and eventually they start themselves. The only thing with that is my neighbors aren't very dog friendly. They won't bother them but they just don't want them on their land. I always try to have pups at least 4 months old during the spring so I can start them good before season opens.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #13
jford228

get rabbit training scent for a young pup that age put a drop on a sock and tease them with it , after they show that they want it put more scent on it and drag it with a string then hide it... let them pup find it by scent....you can do this till ur pup is about 4 or 5 months old then box trap rabbits or get tame ones and let him chase them " u want a tame one that will run from the pup" he will then learn to use his nose when he loses the rabbit ....do this untill your pup gets used to them... ive got a pup now thats ben running for three months and hes 8 months old.... he jumped 5 rabbits solo today and circled 4 .... i always made drags with training scent then hid them from him , i started at about 9 weeks old. / i do this with all my pups, after he does the scent drag for a week or two maybe 3 get a dead fresh wild rabbit and do the same thing drag it , hide it , ect, put it in the freezer and use it for a couple weeks..... u only need to do it about 3 times a week for a 20 minutes a day or however long it takes him to find it , start short drags 10 yrds or so them work your way to a 100 yds or so.....by the time they are 5 or 6 months old you can put them on wild rabbits and they will take right off ...