You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Rabbitdogs.net    
Rabbit Dogs.net > Beagle Talk > The Tailgate > Jump Dogs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
bamabeagler

Default Jump Dogs

I've always heard true jump dogs are born not made.

For those of you that have had or raised what you consider a true jump dog, at what age did you notice something special about them?

Old 10-23-2013, 06:42 AM   #2
believer

this is a good question looking forward to seeing some of the answers

Old 10-23-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
Hippy

IMHO there are dogs that HUNT HARD but not true Jump Dogs--Jump dogs seem to have a "Natural Instinct" of where the rabbit is. Brains,Nose and HUNT

I have a Gyp that hunts EXTREAMLY hard but she does not jump a lot of rabbits-I believe her issue is her nose as dogs that hunt with/behind her jump the Bunny as they can "Wind" the rabbit.

A really good "Jump Dog" is without a doubt a "God Send" as having owned over 200 Beagles I have probably owned less than 10 Day in and Out "Wabbit Dogs" and only 2 Jump Dogs

Jim

Old 10-23-2013, 08:21 AM   #4
10ACbeagler

i dont understand how a dog that hunts extremly hard cant jump many rabbits. i dont mean that in a bad way it just seems odd.

I think a jump dog works smart, not hard they just know where to look.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
MackC
RD_MODERATOR.png

I've only had a handful that were jumpdogs their 1st season. They were born with pure raw ability and talent, most of these dogs are born with a tremendous ability to wind and air scent. I've also had quite a few that would be considered jumpdogs by their 3rd season. They were intelligent dogs that learned how and where to find the rabbit. Most of these dogs will use their eyes as well as their nose.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
Daddy Rabbit
RD_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Default Jump Dogs~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

Hippy is Correct,, it a lots about the Nose!

I suppose that I have owned way more than the number that he uses,, but there again,, I am about twice the age of Hippy,, I bet!

Now nose is not everthing,, but its the big part,, I have seen some hounds with Good Nose,, that didn't want to hit the thick stuff,, now they not going to jump any rabbits in the Open,, spots.

You will find that the hounds that hunt hard will get more experance with age, and those with the Good Nose, are the ones that we always remember as out best jump dogs..

d.r.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>

Old 10-23-2013, 10:29 AM   #7
nivensbj

JMO I think this is genetic, it is pass on within one of few of the litter if you have a pure jump dog, The female that I have came from a older hunter that own the Dam she was a Pure jump dog if they jumped 15 she would jump about 12 to 13, and this old hunter always had some smoke in his Kennel she was just special. I have a female off of that Dam she is my #1 dog in my Kennel she is getting old now maybe 10 but can still jump him right to this day, can't no other dog out jump her yet in my Kennel. She is just a very smart dog that knows where to look and use her nose and not afraid of any cover, I called this rabbit wise, and I don't run collar on her since I own her, never ran trash and was never had to be trash broke, a NATURAL, usually when she bark its up and the race is on, if I had 4 or 5 like her wouldn't need anything else. I remember when I got her about 7 years ago at 3, she was showing a lot of jump ability then and just kept getting better, just like her Dam, the guy I bought her from own the Dam and said she got her gene, might made mistake to sale her. Example say I hunt a spot if I jump 6 rabbits she would jump atleast 5 she was that good, could never breed her that is the bad thing. She can still jump and run the front right to this day, her name is Rose, like the flower.....I will miss her one day, ran her Sat., she jump of the 2 of the 3 rabbits I ran, she can still do it, I was bless to get her and some tried to buy her but no money could touch her, like DR say and Hippy I have seen alot but some or special and got that talent, I'm just lucky to have and seen one, hope I have another that will show there face in my kennel. BJ

Old 10-23-2013, 11:01 AM   #8
10ACbeagler

Didnt mean to seem like i was talking about hippy's dog in paticular just the difference hard hunting dogs and jump dogs!

Old 10-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #9
freesnoop

Jump dogs are defiantly born special they have the ability to put 3 key things together that is a good nose, hard hunt and brains that allows them to bring it all together some say dogs only have short term memory but I believe dogs that have been trained for a specific reason can improve their memory so be it with jump dogs when you open the box they are not just happy to be hunting they are the first to put their nose down and put their business suit on and go to work check all the brush pile where the rabbit usually sit sometime I think they know what kind of grass rabbit like they have extra that separates them from the rest that are some the best dogs you have everyone needs a least one

Old 10-23-2013, 11:39 AM   #10
Addi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ACbeagler View Post
i dont understand how a dog that hunts extremly hard cant jump many rabbits. i dont mean that in a bad way it just seems odd.

Some lines have had the ability to air scent bred out of them.
There are also great jump dogs that cannot run a line.

I was out yesterday with an old male, Rooster, and a couple of six month old pups. We were walking along when, Rooster, smelling along the ground, picked up his head, ran to the other side of a briar/honeysuckle patch and opened. Then he started trying to work his way through the briars. One of the pups ran over and smelled, started opening and struggling to get into some thick piled sticks. Then the rabbit shot out.
About a week ago, I took Rooster out and noticed twice that he scented a rabbit before he went into the thick and jumped it. I wasn't expecting him to have that ability because he is a track dog that generally trails them up. In fact alot of hunters would cull him becsause he often opens before he trails it up.
Rooster is not my dog but I may breed a bitch to him. The only trait that I dislike is his early opening.
I hunted with Rooster's sister for several years. She hunted extremely hard, plowing through the briars but seldom jumped a rabbit. When she was about five years old she started jumping rabbits. So apparently jumping ability can be improved with experience.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #11
freesnoop

Addi,

I totally agree with you they do improve with ground time and age and that air scenting amazes you sometime

Old 10-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #12
10ACbeagler

My male buck dont have the hunt cindy and sammy have on his bad day but he ll wind with the best of em!! I was running a few weeks ago and some buddys of mine showed up to run their young dogs they said theyd wait until i was done with my males. After the race ended beside a road/fence. My buddies were walking along as i was filming so they grabbed the dogs for me we crossed fence and walked down rd to my truck. Now we were every single bit of 15-20 yards to the side of that fencerow when buck starts yankin on the lead to the right then as im tryin to pull hes on back legs winding not wanting to move a inch. When bucky wants to go let him go!! I cut him loose he crossed ditch,through fence.right into the thickets and jumped rabbit. Mr. Jarrell always said Buck could smell one running underground if he wanted to(with a wink) . He may have just got lucky but he knew exactly where that rabbit was sittin from a good ways away. Hed never be able to outdo cindy on jumpin rabbits but even.that impressed us!!

Old 10-23-2013, 02:55 PM   #13
miss man

addi and hippy is rite i had a gyp hunted with a lot of tail action but never jump many rabbit at all and i seen one true jump dog and boy could she jump one but but that thing could not run it 10 yards until it was lost again.i would love to have a jump dog that was slower than every thing i have then mite have something but most is fast dogs

Old 10-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #14
nivensbj

My Rose dog is a Pure jump dog and can also run it like she is tied to it when other dogs can't, and can hold the front, she can do it all even pull it out in hard checks, what I see in her, she is special don't see that much, happy to own her, not bragging just giving my opinion, haven't seen anything like that before, usually they or strong in one area but weak somewhere else, she seen to have it all. JMO

Old 10-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #15
10ACbeagler

Guess thats what i was getting at earlier..if one can wind a rabbit but dont have the nose to run the track at what point or to what extent does brains factor in when calling one a jump dog? I dont remember if it was on this board or heard someone say it in field..maybe both but it was something along the lines you know you have a good jump dog when everyone around you gives the dog that title not just the owner saying it. That always stuck out to me!

Old 10-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #16
jeffro

I don't know if Dawn is what a lot of people would call a true jump dog but she seems to have a great sense of just flat knowing where a rabbit is at.She does have a really good nose and can flat smoke a rabbit but she is not the dog that is just a flat out briar buster.But when the biggest part of those dogs are wading through unproductive patches of nastiness that ol gal will slip off to her self and you will have one going in pretty short order.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #17
miss man

i hear that jeffro and the rose dog she has to be a good dog to jump and run a track all of my dog can strike a track and go jump it but they are not jump dogs

Old 10-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #18
hunterathart

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ACbeagler View Post

I have had some dogs that are short on nose and go over a line and not smell the rabbit.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #19
beagleman23

nose power. period

Old 10-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #20
pilotknob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
I don't know if Dawn is what a lot of people would call a true jump dog but she seems to have a great sense of just flat knowing where a rabbit is at.She does have a really good nose and can flat smoke a rabbit but she is not the dog that is just a flat out briar buster.But when the biggest part of those dogs are wading through unproductive patches of nastiness that ol gal will slip off to her self and you will have one going in pretty short order.
You may have a contender there....the few I've seen really stand out when rabbits are scarce and conditions are bad.It wasn't that they hunted all that hard they just seemed to hunt the right places and be in the right spot.I had a old female that if we wern't finding rabbits would go find a creek and start working the bank and root balls.There was more than one late season hunt that if it wasn't for her we would have been skunked or close to it.The rest of the dogs would be tearing the briars up and you would hear her sound off.